Decorating with houseplants to match your Modern Vintage style
When we think of something vintage, we automatically think of an object or item that is outdated, slightly deteriorated or old. And that is often correct, too. Only nowadays, there are also furniture and objects that completely have the vintage look, but are made recently. These pieces of furniture do, of course, also give that vintage vibe to your interior.
With a modern vintage design style, you focus on mixing the old with the new. By the new, we mean really modern furniture. Modern furniture in the trend style of today. Wondering what this looks like in more detail, then keep on reading.
History of the Modern Vintage interior design
Simply put, and as mentioned above, a modern vintage design style is about mixing vintage pieces with contemporary modern pieces. The contrast can be quite stunning, as combining modern with older pieces is almost like a couple generations of a family: so similar, yet so different. This has, in small measures, actually been done for years, which is why there is not so much of a history or year to attach to this style.
What is true is that, for a few years now, it has become much more popular and this style is really getting a name. It has also led to a lot of furniture now being made that resembles the furniture of the past. We understand, we are fans of this interior design style ourselves!
Some guidelines for the Modern Vintage interior style
Unlike most design styles, a modern vintage style has few rules: just the guideline of mixing old with new. There are actually no rules, but you obviously need to use certain items and aesthetics to achieve a modern vintage look. For example, consider using vintage pieces like an old chair or your grandmother's old side table. Combine that with your new boucle sofa and you have the perfect mix of old and new. In reality, this design style is all in the details and in your own imagination.
So reusing things is important. Antique markets, vintage shops, thrift shops will be your best friend with this design style. A modern vintage style can be as cheap as you want or as expensive as you can afford. This style can look good at all price points, making it a truly versatile design style. Here are some guidelines you can keep in mind to create a modern vintage interior:
- Determine the overall feel and colour palette: there are many options: elegant, fresh, lived-in, relaxed, classic, or unorthodox for example. Next, decide on a colour palette. In that topic, it’s important to choose a color that helps to highlight your furniture and accessories without overwhelming the space.
- Mix Vintage and Modern successfully: you want the room to feel cohesive. To ensure your rooms are stylish and not chaotic, every single item used should be of good quality. The right proportions of each piece are important for the relationship between furniture pieces. Larger furniture or objects are generally better than many smaller ones.
- Use textures and layering: vintage pieces can be a great addition; however, too many can create chaos. To get it right, combine them with smooth, unblemished surfaces and silky textures. For example, try a new silk cushion on a weathered vintage leather chair.
- Consider using the 80/20 rule: it is said that to find a flawless balance between modern and vintage items, you should use 20% vintage and 80% modern items. This can help you create the perfect modern vintage interior.
- Up-cycle vintage pieces: whether restoring an armchair from the last century, giving an old sideboard a lick of paint or framing a new work of art with an old gilded frame, giving vintage finds new life is a great way to create unique pieces for your home.
The best plants to add to your Modern Vintage interior decor
Plants are extra atmospheric. So plants will definitely add to your modern vintage interior. Somehow, I can also picture that dark wood vintage sideboard with a beautiful plant on it. Also, a big statement plant will bring peace among the vintage and fashionable pieces. So which plants look great in your modern vintage interior, but are also easy to take care of? We are happy to list them for you below!
Her beautiful deep green heart-shaped leaves have bright veins that seem to pop out of their surface, while the surprising red colour of their undersides and their pretty downy stems give this houseplant a complexity that demands a place in your modern vintage interior.
The width of this Calathea Orbifolia's leaves makes her really striking. Her beautiful green leaves are decorated with surprising silver stripes. This will certainly make her an asset to your modern vintage interior.
This popular beauty is truly stunning! Her large leaves and beautiful radiance instantly add a green vibe to your modern vintage interior, which is what you want, right?
With this XXL Monstera Pertusum, you instantly have a great addition to your modern vintage interior. The Pertusum can climb well, which is why the moss stick is an important addition. She will grow beautifully and delight you with her impressive large green leaves.
This plant with heart-shaped leaves is really special. At least we think so! The Philodendron is a houseplant that is very common and already adored by many. That's because she looks beautiful and is very easy to care for. This huge variety will be an absolute showstopper in your modern vintage interior.
Modern Vintage plant pots that will match your interior!
After all, a plant needs a pot! Of course, it is important that the pot matches your interior, especially in your modern vintage interior. So we gladly list a number of pots and hopefully you will find a suitable pot for your interior!
Adding the right plants and pots will give your modern vintage interior the perfect finishing touch and create a nice atmosphere. We are convinced that this interior style will last for a while! What about your style? We'd love to see what your (modern vintage) space with plants looks like! Share your space with #PLNTSvibe on Instagram.
Manon is the biggest PLNTSlover you'll find. Her love for and knowledge about plants is huge, what makes her a true plant care expert! In her blogs she will share all her plant care tips and hacks with you!