Brighten up a bare, dark corner in the house with a beautiful houseplant? Then choose a shade plant, which can tolerate low light well. A shade plant brings every dark corner to life! Every houseplant needs natural sunlight to grow and survive, but some more than others.
- Accessories-Characteristics - Easy
- Accessories-Characteristics - Air purifying
- Accessories-Characteristics - Pet friendly
- Accessories-Characteristics - Hanging plant
- Accessories-Color - Orange
- Accessories-Color - White
- Accessories-Color - Black
- Accessories-Color - Grey
- Accessories-Color - Yellow
- Accessories-Color - Brown
- Accessories-Color - Green
- Accessories-Color - Blue
- Accessories-Color - Taupe
- Accessories-Color - Pink
- Accessories-Color - Red
- Accessories-Color - Creme
- Accessories-Location - Partial sun
- Accessories-Location - (Half) shade
- Accessories-Material - Terracotta
- Accessories-Material - Eco
- Accessories-Material - Braided
- Accessories-Material - Nursery Pot
- Accessories-Plantfamily - Alocasia
- Accessories-Plantfamily - Anthurium
- Accessories-Plantfamily - Asparagus
- Accessories-Plantfamily - Calathea
- Accessories-Plantfamily - Ctenanthe
- Accessories-Plantfamily - Fittonia
- Accessories-Plantfamily - Jewel Orchid
- Accessories-Plantfamily - Pilea
- Accessories-Plantfamily - Peperomia
- Accessories-Plantfamily - Platycerium
- Accessories-Plantfamily - Philodendron
- Accessories-Room - Bathroom
- Accessories-Room - Bedroom
- Accessories-Room - Livingroom
- Accessories-Room - Office
- Accessories-Standing or hanging - Standing
- Accessories-Style - Crafted
- Accessories-Style - Design
- Accessories-Style - Nature
- Accessories-Style - Basic
- Accessories-Style - Handmade
- Accessories-Style - Fun
- Delivery throughout Europe
- Free shipping for orders over £130,-
- 30 day PLNTS health guarantee
Indoor shade plants
A shade plant needs little to no sunlight to grow. That does not mean that we can just put them in a dark basement, because they do need indirect light. Do you have a deep room or an empty spot further away from the window? Then a shade plant for indoors is a perfect solution! These plants are known for their ability to grow in indirect sunlight. To make your search a little easier, we have compiled the top 3 best shade plants for you:
Sansevieria Futura Superba
A Sansevieria, in addition to being perfect in a room with mostly shade, also has an air-purifying function. It is also known as 'Women's Tongue' and does not require much care. Place her in a spot with indirect sunlight and don't water her too much. This lady is a super tough and stately plant and brightens up every bare corner with her beautiful leaves!
This beauty can actually be placed anywhere in the house, except in full sun. That makes her a perfect candidate to brighten up a shady or semi-shade spot! She is a truly rare gem among the Philodendrons. Her light veins stand out from her beautiful deep green and heart-shaped leaves, making her a real eye-catcher. Give her some small shoots of water regularly and keep the soil moist continuously, then she will be very grateful to you.
This lady is a feast for the eyes and one of our favorites! The Ficus Lyrata is also called tobacco plant or violin plant because of the beautiful large, strong heart-shaped leaves that grow stately upwards. This is an ideal houseplant for a darker corner with indirect sunlight where you have less space. This beauty likes to be informed! Give her a helping hand with a plant guide and rather not give her too much water at once, but rather more often small amounts.
Taking care of shade plants
To give your sun, partial shade or shade plant a long and happy life, we recommend that you take a good look at what your new green friend needs. You take care of a shade plant in a completely different way than plants that do like the sun. Of course, every shade plant is unique, but you can still take a number of things into account when taking care of your shade plant!
Just because your plant is a shade plant doesn't mean it doesn't need light. A shade plant does not like the bright sun, but it does like a little indirect light. How much light your shade plant needs depends on the species. For example, some shade plants cannot withstand the bright sun and others will do better. Keep this in mind when looking for the perfect place in your home. Shade plants are perfect for brightening up dull, slightly dark corners!
When there is a lot of light, it logically also becomes warmer in the room. With a lot of light you will therefore automatically have to water more. Sun plants need more water for example! In addition, the amount of light also influences the water needs of your new roommate. The more the plant is in a light or sunny environment, the more water the plant needs. A shade plant will therefore usually not need that much water. So find out what your plant needs!
In addition to light and water, your shade houseplants can also use some extra love once in a while. Remove the yellow leaves and the dry flowers. This way your hanging girlfriend looks a lot prettier and they can put their energy into the living leaves. Your plant will also be very happy with the plant sprayer! Spray the leaves regularly to improve humidity, keep the leaves clean and reduce the risk of pests. Finally, we recommend that you give the plant plant food once every 1 to 2 weeks during the growth period.